Thursday, September 25, 2014

I only eat fruit.

This past week I've been reading about the Fruitarian diet. I'm surprised that many people have never heard of it. I've known about it for a while and thought it was absolutely crazy (sorta like when people just juice).

A vegetarian running blog I read (No Meat Athlete) has been posting about it recently and said the diet of almost all raw fruits and vegetables made him feel amazing and need less sleep. That's pretty cool, right? Except when you realize you have to eat 8 bananas in one serving. He also lost a ton of weight and decided it wasn't for him, but it got me doing some research.

I honestly had a really good laugh at this video where the guy says "I had 15 oranges for breakfast." SERIOUSLY? How long does it take to peel and eat 15 oranges? It would take me all morning. I also had fun telling Aaron I'm going to eat nothing but fruit from now on. Including fruit flavored ice-cream. He wasn't as amused as me.

However, all of the reading did bring me back to the year or so when I tried to eat mostly/almost all raw food during the day with a cooked dinner. I felt great! Then I spent the summer in Mexico and couldn't eat raw vegetables without disinfecting them, so I got off track. With all of the business travel I do now my diet definitely leaves something to be desired. Although my friends and coworkers think I'm healthy, there is just way too much cheese, dairy, and white flour involved with eating on the road. (Also, is beer a raw fruit?)

While I won't be going all Fruitarian, I'm going to make an effort to get back to more raw fruits and vegetables during the day. It is pretty easy: smoothies for breakfast, huge salads for lunch (thank you salad bar!), fruit and raw veggie snacks. Before you know it you've gone the whole day with zero grains, refined sugar, or cooked food.

In the meantime... if anyone gives fruitarianism a try, let me know how that goes for you. And also let me know how long it takes to eat 15 oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment